Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, October 15, 2010

Recipe of the week: Fried Green Tomatoes

One year I had tons of tomatoes that seemed like they were taking forever to ripen so I thought I'd try making fried green tomatoes, after having seen the movie by the same name.  I don't make them very often but when I do, this is the recipe I use.  I use bread crumbs, if you don't like them, I'm sure cornmeal would be fine, it might be an even more authentic southern taste.  I say to use a mixture of canola (or safflowers) and olive oil because the smoking point of olive oil is fairly low and you need an oil you can fry in.  I still have lots of tomatoes right now at the middle of October and once again it seems like they're taking forever to ripen, so this is what we had for dinner tonight.  I'm not sure how you get ahold of green tomatoes if you don't have a garden, maybe ask your local produce person at the store or someone from your local farmer's market.  If you happen to try it, let me know what you think.  A Votre Sante!



Ingredients
6 medium, firm green tomatoes
salt

black pepper
1/2 -3/4cup unbleached or whole wheat flour
1/4 cup milk
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup canola oil, or a mixture of canola and olive oil

Directions:

1. Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices; sprinkle slices with the salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for a few minutes while you place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.

2. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. In a skillet fry the coated tomato slices, 5 or 6 at a time, in hot oil over medium heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until brown. (If tomatoes begin to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium-low. If necessary, add additional oil.) If desired, season to taste with additional salt and black pepper.  Serve with Louisiana hot sauce.