Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Shopping

Well, here in the US the day after tomorrow is known as Black Friday.  The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would  occur on the day after Thanksgiving.  Use of the term began by 1966 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the period during which retailers are turning a profit, or "in the black."  (Taken from Wikipedia) 

Honestly, I think I've only been out once on Black Friday, it was the year that Tickle 
Me Elmo was hard to find, maybe 1996?  I don't much like crowds, so shopping the
day after Thanksgiving doesn't much appeal to me.  I have a few tips in general when 
it comes to shopping, at least for clothes.  

1.  Go by yourself or with a good friend.  It's too hard to shop with kids and if you 
want a second opinion on how something looks you want an honest opinion. 

2.  Try everything on.  Don't buy stuff without trying it on, chances are you'll have to 
return it.  And try stuff on that you wouldn't normally wear, I have a couple of tops that 
I didn't think much of on the hanger but once I tried them on I loved them. 

3.  Let sales people help you.  A good sales person will get different sizes for you 
and give you honest feedback.  I once had a lady at a jewelry store tell me the bigger
necklace I was looking at didn't look as good on me as the smaller one.  She was more
interested in what looked good on me than making a bigger sale.  Guess what?  
We went back to her for the next three jewelry purchases we made.  Clothes are 
the same way, a good sales person will tell you what looks good on you and not try 
to sell you stuff that's unflattering.

4.  If you shop online, do your online returns through the mail.  Almost all companies these
days send you a return label, go ahead and send that item(s) back.   (Side note, another 
reason to go into the store and try stuff on!  So you know it fits)

5.  If there's an item that you really really want, save your money and get it instead of buying stuff
you don't really want or need.  Chances are you you could have gotten what you really wanted
instead of all those things you bought for $10, $15 or $20.

If you're going out on Friday or just shopping in general I hope you find great deals and things 
you look beautiful in.  The world needs more beauty!


Ciao.