Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, February 22, 2013

Recipe of the week: Blood Orange and Beet Salad


I've seen a couple of beet and orange salad recipes lately so I decided to come up with my own.  I'm not a big fan of raw onions but if you are, red onions might be nice in this.  I blanched my beets but you could also roast them like I did here.  If you can't find blood oranges you can always use regular ones or tangerines.  I made my own dressing but you can easily use any prepared dressing you like.  This salad had a hearty feeling to it but was also light and refreshing if that makes sense.  Let me know what you think.  A Votre Sante!


Blood Orange and Beet Salad

1 medium to large bowl of spinach and mixed greens
1 beets, blanched and sliced
2-3 blood oranges, depending on the size
2-3 sprigs of fresh parsley
1 Tbsp honey mustard
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
freshly ground pepper



In a pan with a steamer basket, steam beets for 4-5 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water (that will stop them from continuing to cook).  While the beets are cooking, remove the stems from the spinach leaves,   peel and section the oranges, set aside.  Slice the beets.  In a small bowl add your honey mustard, olive oil, and vinegar, whisk together, add freshly ground pepper to taste.  Add oranges, beets, and parsley to your greens and toss.  Drizzle with dressing and serve.  If you're not serving it right away, wait on the dressing, no one likes soggy salad.  Enjoy.