Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Crustless Sweet Potato Pie

About 15 years ago I started making sweet potato pie, the greatest compliment I ever got was from my late father in law....he grew sweet potatoes and was from the south, he said mine was the best he'd ever had!  I really don't care for pie crust or pumpkin pie but I like the flavor (I make pumpkin pie squares as posted here).  Sweet potatoes are a great alternative, in my opinion the texture is much better.  Today I decided to use up the left over sweet potatoes and make a crustless pie (mostly Paleo friendly...I used buttermilk but you could use coconut milk).  We're having it with whipped cream but you could certainly have ice cream or yogurt.  Let me know what you think.  A Votre Sante!

3-4 medium sweet potatoes baked and peeled (about 1 lb)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp salt
a pinch of nutmeg
a pinch of cayenne pepper
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl or stand mixer mix the cooked sweet potatoes with the spices and sugar.  Add the eggs.  Beat lightly, gradually stir in buttermilk.  Pour into a greased deep dish pie pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes with foil over the top so it doesn't over brown.  Remove foil and bake another 25-30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, enjoy!