Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Recipe of the week: Boneless Asian Short Ribs

I only have 2 other meat eaters in the house so I don't tend to buy a whole lot of meat these days. I think I bought a 1 pound package and sliced the pieces in half. Sadly, my grill is out of gas so I had to use a grill type pan in my broiler but the results were still great. The meat was nice and tender. I served mine with artichokes and green beans sauteed with mushrooms, onions, and olive oil. Let me know what you think. A Votre Sante!


Boneless Asian Short Ribs

1-2 lbs of boneless beef short ribs thinly sliced (if you have more than that double or triple the marinade)

2 cloves chopped garlic
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar (if you don't have any use apple cider vinegar)
1/4 cup coffee (optional if you have it, the caffeine helps make the meat tender)
2 Tbsp orange juice (about 1/2 of a large orange)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1 inch chunk of ginger peeled and finely chopped
1 Tbsp sesame oil (olive if you don't have it)
2 finely chopped scallions
1 Tsp black pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)


Combine all the ingredients. Place beef in a large bowl with a lid or a resealable zipper bag or two, squeeze the air out of the bag. Marinate 3-24 hours. The longer the better. Preheat your grill, or your broiler.


Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel. Place meat on grill. Close the lid and cook, without moving the meat, until it is well marked 5 to 7 minutes. Flip it over and repeat, the meat may need 1-2 minutes longer if it's on the thick side. Enjoy!