Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 4, 2013

Power, Love, and a Sound Mind

I've been pondering this post for a couple of weeks and am just now having the time to sit down and put my thoughts together.  I, unfortunately live with a tremendous amount of anxiety.  I'm sure that is a result of growing up in an unstable environment, children count on their parents for their safety and security and sadly I grew up in a lot of choas instead. 

A couple of weeks ago some good friends of mine were praying for me and I heard the verse "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  None of us could remember exactly where it was so we did what we all do these days, we Googled it, it's found in 2 Timothy 1:7.  

After reading a couple of different translations we were fascinated.  The words "sound mind" are also self-discipline, self-control, discipline, sound judgment, instruction, good judgment, sobriety, wise discretion, all translated from the Greek word "sōphronismos".  I'm clearly not a Bible scholar but I thought this was so interesting. 

I want more peace and more joy this year and a whole lot less anxiety.  I know when my mind gets busy, my anxiety increases, so I'm trying to remember this verse and all the words for "sound mind". 

Just my thoughts on this first Friday of January 2013.  I'd love to hear what you think. 

Have a beauty-filled day.

Ciao.