Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Book Review: Beautiful Outlaw

I received an autographed copy of Beautiful Outlaw in the mail back in October with an invitation from John Eldredge to read it and review it for my blog, I was so excited when I opened the package.

Beautiful Outlaw is well written and depicts the personality of Jesus unlike anything I've read that's nonfiction.  The only other time I've read anything about the playfulness of Jesus was in The Shack by W.P. Young.  John Eldredge does an amazing job of breaking down different component of Jesus's personality from his fierceness, his playfulness, his generosity, his disruptive honesty, his humility etc.

In every chapter John breaks down at least one of the parables in the gospels and points out what most of us have never seen about Jesus's personality.  I think the chapter about Jesus's being cunning was my favorite.  I love how being innocent as doves and as shrewd as snakes is depicted.

The chapters that had the most impact on me were 14, 'Letting Jesus Be Himself- With You and 17, Letting His Life Fill Yours.  I found some very profound truths that I needed to hear in those chapters.

Thank you, John for another amazing book, I hope and pray that people find the scandalous freedom you and Jesus speak of.

Until next time.
Ciao.