Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Recipe of the week: Hummus

I love hummus. I’ve had lots of different flavors but I think the original is my favorite. Garbanzo beans are full of fiber and a good source of folate, magnesium and iron. By adding the tahini to the hummus you have a complete protein. I fully support you playing with your food, to see what flavors you like. I made some with sun-dried tomatoes during the holidays and it was very good. A Votre Sante!

Hummus

1 can organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp cumin
¼ tsp red pepper

Drain beans, reserving ¼ cup of liquid. In the blender (or food processor), puree garbanzo beans, lemon juice, oil, salt, cumin and red pepper. Add tahini and reserved liquid, blend until smooth.

If you like flavored hummus you can add cilantro, roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, olives etc. Serve with pita chips, vegetables or whole grain crackers.

Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 7 days and can be kept in the freezer for up to one month. Enjoy!