Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Recipe of the week: Vegetable Egg Bake

I call this an egg bake but its really a crust-less quiche. I'm not a big fan of pie crust so I like this a lot better than quiche. You can make it with meat if you'd like but I really like it with just vegetables. Lots of times I improvise and use what I have in the frig. I made it once with swiss chard along with the spinach that I'd gotten from the farmers market. You can use green onions instead of a regular onion or whatever color pepper you like. I don't usually put tomatoes in it because I serve it with salsa. My kids love this, its an easy way to get them to eat their vegetables. You can also easily cut the recipe in half and bake in an 8X8 pan. Let me know what you think. A Votre Sante!




Vegetable Egg Bake

2 cups grated cheese (half cheddar and half mozzerella or whatever you have on hand)
1 small onion chopped
1 small to medium red pepper chopped
2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 zucchini chopped
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup flour
10 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Serve with your choice of salsa

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease or spray a 9x13 pan. Saute onion, peppers, and mushroom in olive oil or butter. Add zucchini and broccoli cook for 2-3 minutes, you don't want them soft because they'll cook in the oven. (Add spinach last, you don't need to saute it) Transfer to baking dish. In a bowl wisk eggs together, add milk, flour, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight (optional, you can bake it right away if you're making this for dinner). Bake uncovered 35-45 minutes or until eggs are set and cheese is melted. Serves 6 to 8. Enjoy!