Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Recipe of the week: Vegetable soup

All around the world tonight people are partying like rock stars because it's Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday.  Which means that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.  In years past I've done a Daniel fast for Lent, which you can read about here, this year I'm doing something different but I thought I'd share a vegetable soup recipe I came up with a couple of years ago.  Sometimes I double or triple this so that I have it, one part of fasting that I've found difficult is having something quick to eat when you're hungry.  This is good hot or cold, it has a V8 juice kind of taste to it cold.  A Votre Sante!

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2  chopped onion
1 clove garlic
3 stalks of celery chopped
5 carrots chopped
1 small head of broccoli
1 zucchini
1 large can of diced tomatoes
2-3 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
1 tsp Italian seasoning or basil
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add carrots and celery.  After about 2 minutes add the can of tomatoes, broth, and the broccoli.  After about 5 or 6 minutes add the pepper and zucchini (they don't take as long to cook and I don't like mine mushy).  Simmer for about 20-25 minutes.  (You can easily throw everything in the crock pot instead)  Enjoy.