Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Recipe of the week: orange salsa

Happy Cinco de Mayo. In honor of the day, I thought I'd share my recipe for orange salsa. I've been making this for a few years. My husband was at an event and had a salsa like this and asked me to try to duplicate it. This is what I came up with. As always, play with it and see how much heat you like, you can always add more jalapeno seeds or more ground pepper. If you like lots of cilantro, you may want more. My favorite way to eat this is with lime chips. (Have'A Corn Chips are my favorite!) This salsa is also really good on carne asada. Let me know what you think. A Votre Sante!


Orange Salsa
1 red onion chopped
2 jalapeno's chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 oranges, peeled, segmented and cut into small pieces
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Once you've chopped the onion and jalapeno cook it for about 3-4 minutes, with no oil or anything in the pan. Basically you're making them sweat, it takes a little bit of the edge off. You don't want them mushy though, so watch it closely. Let them cool. Combine everything else in a large bowl. Once the onion and peppers are cooled, add to rest of the ingredients. Grind fresh pepper to taste and stir. You can add sea salt if you like but I usually don't, I think the tomatoes add enough salt but it all depends on your taste. Enjoy!