Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Recipe of the week: Healthier macaroni and cheese

I don't know anyone, kid or adult, that doesn't like macaroni and cheese. So, when a friend emailed me and asked me to come up with a healthy version, I was happy to!  I've been making healthy fettuccine Alfredo for years so I figured that this wouldn't be too hard.  I think that the next time I make it, a combination of cheddar and pepper jack would be wonderful (but only if you like spicy).  Anyway, this is what I came up with.  Serve with a salad or steamed vegetables and you've got a meal. Of course if you want to serve meat, chicken or fish on the side that's great too. A Vorte Sante!


Healthier macaroni and cheese

2 tbsp butter
1/4 c flour
3 c skim milk
1 1/2 c shredded cheese (I used 1/2 cheddar 1/2 jack)
1/4-1/2 c shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 box cooked pasta (I used whole grain medium shells cooked without salt or fat)

Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan or skillet over low heat. Add flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add milk; stir well. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Add 1 1/2 cup cheese and salt, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in cooked macaroni. Spoon into a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy!