Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Recipe of the week: Vegetable walnut pasta

This is a recipe that I originally found on a box of pasta, but as always I have modified it. It's super easy and I thought you might enjoy it. If you don't like broccoli or artichoke hearts you could easily substitute zucchini, spinach, or green beans. (Or anything else you like). Just adjust the cooking time, especially if its spinach...I'd add it as I was tossing the pasta so its not mushy. Like I've said before, I believe in playing with your food...see what you like and let me know if you try it. A Votre Sante.

Vegetable walnut pasta

Ingredients:

1 lb Farfalle or other pasta
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil and herbs, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and cut into fourths
3 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated if possible
1/2 cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips (you can use 1Tbsp dried, but fresh is much better)
salt to taste
black pepper, freshly ground to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Toast walnuts in a small skillet for 1-2 minutes until slightly brown. Place in large bowl. Add sun-dried tomatoes, including some oil from tomatoes, garlic and olive oil and artichoke hearts.
Cook pasta, according to package directions. (Add broccoli the last 4 minutes) Drain, add pasta and broccoli to bowl. Add Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and serve. Serves about 4. Enjoy!