Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Recipe of the week: pizza crust

I figured since I posted pictures of the pizza I made last night, I should share the recipe for the crust.  I've been making this crust for many years.  It always comes out good.  I make all kinds of different pizzas.  Plain cheese, bar-be-que chicken, pesto pizza with vegetables.  We had a pizza night and I doubled the batch and then made small balls of dough so each person could make their own individual pizza and we cooked them on the grill.  As always, I recommend you play with your food and make it fun.  Let me know what you think.  A Votre Sante!

Pizza Crust

2 3/4 to 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour or a combo of unbleached and whole wheat
1 pk dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tea sea salt
cornmeal (optional)

In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cup flour, yeast and salt.  Add warm water and oil.  Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.  Scrape constantly.  Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, using a spoon stir in as much of the remaining flour as possible.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic.  (6-8 minutes)  Divide in half and cover and let rest 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with cornmeal.  Roll into 13" circle.  Transfer to pan.  Top with sauce and toppings.  Bake 15-20 minutes at 425.